Monday, May 16, 2005

Many Questions

What do you do when everything is urgent!?

Where has the art of triage gone? It seems few people are left with the art/skill of diagnosing issues, which can wait with those that cannot wait. Is this common in other fields and businesses? If so, I worry…

Growth by acquisition.

Lately at work we have gotten a lot busier. Enough that some people complain, others withdraw into themselves, and few even manage to continue on unphased.

They also stop thinking about how to work smarter… A few minutes here or there to re-work or automate a process can save literally hundreds of hours of labor over the coming weeks/months… yet it is not done... Despite attempts to introduce such improvements into the fold. It really is amazing some times.

What about personal skills development? I have always viewed life as a constant learning experience. Some people think they can actually “stop” learning. “Hey, I completed my degree, I am done!”.

Yet, when it comes time to turn around the landscape has changed, new legislation, new IT infrastructures, new software versions, new markets all advancing at an exponential rate… yet, the skill sets are from 3, 5, 7 years ago!

Where is the balance, where does it end? I guess I am filled with many questions today.

No comments:

Post a Comment